Average 30-year mortgage rate unchanged at 3.42%

Average 30-year mortgage rate unchanged at 3.42%

Mortgage Rate Trend Index

Two out of three (62.5%) experts polled last week by Bankrate.com think rates will rise over the short term. No one predicted a decline, with the remaining 37.5% expecting little change.

WASHINGTON (AP) – Oct. 10, 2016 – Long-term U.S. mortgage rates didn’t move last week, remaining at their lowest levels since mid-July as a lure to prospective homebuyers.

Mortgage giant Freddie Mac said Thursday the average for a 30-year fixed-rate mortgage was unchanged from last week at 3.42 percent. The benchmark rate is down from 3.76 percent a year ago and close to its all-time low of 3.31 percent in November 2012.

The 15-year fixed-rate mortgage, popular with homeowners who are refinancing, stayed at 2.72 percent.

To calculate average mortgage rates, Freddie Mac surveys lenders across the country at the beginning of each week. The average doesn’t include extra fees, known as points, which most borrowers must pay to get the lowest rates. One point equals 1 percent of the loan amount.

The average fee for a 30-year mortgage was unchanged from last week at 0.5 point. The fee for a 15-year loan also remained at 0.5 point.

Rates on adjustable five-year mortgages averaged 2.80 percent, down from 2.81 percent last week. The fee was steady at 0.4 point.

Get More Info On Options To Sell Your Home...

Selling a property in today's market can be confusing. Connect with us or submit your info below and we'll help guide you through your options.

What Do You Have To Lose? Get Started Now...

We buy houses in ANY CONDITION in Florida. There are no commissions or fees and no obligation whatsoever. Start below by giving us a bit of information about your property or call (813) 716-1143...
  • This field is for validation purposes and should be left unchanged.

Leave a Reply

Your email address will not be published. Required fields are marked *