Twitter officially doubles its character count

SAN FRANCISCO – Nov. 10, 2017 – Twitter’s approximately 330 million users can now send tweets that are up to 280 characters in length, Twitter announced last Tuesday – double its previous limit of 140 characters. In September, Twitter tested longer tweets on a small group of users. The company says they found those with … Continued

Fla. claims for Irma damage top $5 billion

Fla. claims for Irma damage top $5 billion TALLAHASSEE, Fla. – Oct. 24, 2017 – Six weeks after Hurricane Irma ripped through Florida, claims for damage have now topped $5 billion. More than 23,160 property owners in Southwest Florida have filed claims for insured losses from Irma, according to an updated report Monday from the … Continued

Study: Homeowners will pay most Irma damage out of pocket

Study: Homeowners will pay most Irma damage out of pocket MIAMI – Sept. 22, 2017 – It will be years before the true cost of Hurricane Irma is clear, but a team of Florida International University (FIU) researchers estimates that the storm’s winds alone will set the Sunshine State back $19.4 billion. Of that total, … Continued

Hurricane Irma damage could be as high as $65 billion

Hurricane Irma damage could be as high as $65 billion MIAMI – Sept. 20, 2017 – Hurricane Irma’s monstrous 185 mph winds seemed to be the biggest menace as the storm inexorably made its way toward Florida earlier this month. But according to a study by the information company CoreLogic, flooding wreaked the costliest damage … Continued

File a Claim

Insurer: ‘File a claim. It won’t count against you’ TALLAHASSEE, Fla. – Sept. 13, 2017 – It might sound strange, but the founder and president of one of Florida’s major insurance companies has a message for anyone who thinks they might have sustained damage from Hurricane Irma: “File a claim. It won’t count against you.” … Continued

Mortgage rates are still low

Long-term U.S. mortgage rates fall to lowest level this year WASHINGTON (AP) – Sept. 7, 2017 – Long-term U.S. mortgage rates fell this week, led by the benchmark 30-year rate, which declined for the sixth straight week. Mortgage buyer Freddie Mac says the average 30-year fixed mortgage rate fell to 3.78 percent, from 3.82 percent … Continued

Average 30-year mortgage rate unchanged at 3.42%

Average 30-year mortgage rate unchanged at 3.42% Mortgage Rate Trend Index Two out of three (62.5%) experts polled last week by Bankrate.com think rates will rise over the short term. No one predicted a decline, with the remaining 37.5% expecting little change. WASHINGTON (AP) – Oct. 10, 2016 – Long-term U.S. mortgage rates didn’t move … Continued